Distinguished Alumni Award Criteria
The true measure of a university’s greatness can be found in the achievements of its alumni. West Texas A&M University is globally known to develop leaders in many fields of endeavor. Many of the University’s alumni have gained unique distinction through success in their professions, service to the University and contribution to their communities. The Distinguished Alumnus Award, first presented in 1970, honors outstanding former students and celebrates their achievements. This prestigious award is presented during the annual Alumni Association Banquet.
Purpose and Philosophy
The purpose of the Distinguished Alumnus program is to recognize the University’s alumni and alumnae who have made significant contributions to society, and whose accomplishments, affiliations, and careers have honored the legacy of excellence at WT.
The Distinguished Alumnus Award does more than honor its recipients. It also further illustrates the great value of the academic programs and student involvement at West Texas A&M and increases the pride all former students, staff and faculty have for the University. The award program recognizes those men and women who demonstrate the power of the WT experience to the people of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Criteria for Selection
Recipients will be accomplished in one or more areas as outlined below. This distinction will be reflective of West Texas A&M University’s core values – Excellence, Respect, Service, Leadership, Integrity, and Innovation.
The three areas are:
Professional Achievement and Career or Military Service Distinction: The recipient attained prominence through his or her efforts in commerce, industry, technology, the professions, agriculture, the arts, education, government, military or other worthy endeavors that form a record of accomplishment impressive to the citizens of Texas and the nation.
Service to Society: The recipient exhibits integrity and a demonstrated commitment to service through an interest in bettering the lives of others through volunteer efforts.
Service and Support to West Texas A&M University: The recipient’s deeds and actions reflect the importance of his or her educational training, pride in alma mater and loyalty to West Texas A&M, as demonstrated through their interest in and support of the Alumni Association, the University and its programs.
Nominations will be accepted using the following guidelines:
The Alumni Association provides a general Nomination Form (see link at top of page).
Nominators can choose to fill out the form or submit a nomination letter using the contact information at the bottom of the page. Nominators are encouraged to provide supporting items that further distinguish the nominee. Such items include, but are not limited to:
- Letter of nomination written by the nominator (required)
- Three letters of support from non-family members that specifically address the criteria (required)
- Current biography or curriculum vitae for the individual
- Newspaper and magazine articles
- Personal stories
- Award or certificates of achievement
- Other items of interest
- Nomination forms will be held for each individual for a period of three years. If an individual is not selected for the award, his or her Award Nomination Form may be updated and renewed by the original or other appropriate nominator for consideration in a subsequent year.
- No limitation will be placed on the total number of nominations accepted for consideration.
- Letters of support may be submitted by anyone with the exception of the University President, the Executive Director of the West Texas A&M University Foundation, and the Executive Director of the WT Alumni Association.
- For further information about this or any WTAMU Alumni Award program, contact the office of alumni relations at 806-651-2311.
THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS INVITED TO SUBMIT NOMINATIONS.
Additional letters and information in support of a nomination are welcome and can be sent to:
WTAMU Alumni Association
Campus Box 60753
Canyon, TX 79016
The recipients are honored throughout the year and are presented with their awards at the Alumni Association's annual Phoenix Banquet.